The truth about Deceit!

Hello my dears and happy Monday! I know for most, Monday's are the worst, but for me its actually one of my favorite days. I work in a dental office Tuesday-Friday as a hygienist, so Mondays are my day home with the baby. I am able to spend time with him, clean, do laundry, take Knox and Loretta ( our pug) for walks, and I am able to work on the blog! This blog post was not originally planned but I feel God is leading me to write it after what I experienced this weekend, so here it goes.


On Saturday I went to the Women's Conference called Revolve, at Southland Christian Church with some girlfriends, and it really spoke to my heart. My friend Erika attends Southland and has invited me the past two years to go with her. Last year I was not able to go because I was only 3 months postpartum and nursing and I just had so much anxiety about leaving the baby. I was anxious about leaving Knox when he was that young, I was freaking out about where I would pump, could I pump there, would I be able to store it, etc. and the stress was just not worth it. Now Knox is 15 months old and we are no longer nursing and I feel much better about leaving him for a few hours.I knew I would be able to enjoy my time this year so I went. The conference is always two days, Friday night and Saturday morning, but I had to work Friday so I missed Friday's conference but Saturday was amazing

The first speaker was named Mo Isom and she was this absolutely adorable young mom of two and is pregnant with her third, who has an amazing story. We all loved her and wanted to become her best friend instantly. She had amazing stage presence and was just the cutest thing ever. She had been a college soccer star who had gone through some personal tragedies with the loss of her father due to suicide and a horrible car accident. She spoke about deceit and how as women that is a really tricky and prominent aspect of our lives. She prayed over us women before she spoke, that God would lay on our hearts the ways in which we have been deceived or are deceiving others. Almost instantly the Holy Spirit started talking to my heart and I knew in a few days, I would be here, in front of my laptop writing this to you all.

The first thing that came to my heart when Mo spoke of deceit, was social media. Oh how I have a love/ hate relationship with social media. Social media has really molded our generation and there is a lot to be said about that in both positive and negative aspects. It has been positive by connecting so many people across the world, it has grown amazing businesses, it has become a huge marketing tool and for me personally it has given me a platform to help spread my blog. On the other hand though, it has made jealousy and unrealistic expectations a daily occurrence, it has spiked anxiety and depression in our world and has made it way to easy for people to be unfaithful. So social media is really a doubled edged sword. If I am being 100% transparent with you all, I have been on both sides of the social media spectrum. I have been so deceived by these beautiful glamorous women on social media, with their perfect homes, perfect clothes, perfect bodies, perfect doting husbands, perfect model children, perfect jobs, perfect travel destinations, etc... to where I want to look at myself in the mirror and say, " YOU ARE A FAILURE!" And I have also been one of those women who have had a crappy day and I felt like I was dying on the inside, but thought to myself, "No one wants to see that Katelyn, go out and take a picture of your outfit and tell the world how awesome today was." Its funny how quickly we are to judge others, when we are all guilty in some way or other of doing the exact same things. We try to portray a perfect life, because the world likes things tied up in pretty packages. But life is just not always pretty, and that is the cold hard truth. 

So I have found the way to enjoy social media both as someone who is watching and posting, is to take it for what it truly is. The way we have to approach social media, and I mean this especially for the younger impressionable generation, is with a realistic lens. Of course those women on social media have a bad day, of course they get break outs, of course they aren't always dressed to the nines, but that is what we like to see, so that is what we post about. I love blogging, I love Instagram and social media and I love sharing these parts of my life with you, but that is just it, it is just a PART of my life. I have days where my hair hasn't been washed and is in a frizzy ponytail, I wear scrubs the majority of the time, and there are times when I feel like a horrible friend, daughter, sister, mother and wife, just like everyone else. And I know in my heart , those stunning "perfect" women on social media, have those days as well. But as part of self preservation, we don't show those ugly parts of ourselves to others, because we are afraid for the world to see the not so pretty parts of us. It doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means you are not seeing it.

Now as a 27 year old woman, I am comfortable enough with myself at this stage of life ,that I can handle that.I know it is just the veil of social media that causes me to feel unworthy, it is not real life. It is not that I am any less than these women, its just that I am seeing a very small part of their everyday lives and that is okay. I can take social media for what it really is, and enjoy it and feel inspired by it in that capacity. And when I am feeling down, or insecure, or bitter, or jealous, as we almost always do, then the beauty is I can just step away for a while, hit refresh and then go back when I am ready. I know that it is the enemy who is trying to make me feel less than, and trying to break me, in order to pull me away from the Voice of Truth. I did not always feel this way though, it took me a long time come to this realization and that is all thanks to God. That is why I am writing this today, for every woman who has been deceived and felt less than because the world tell us we are, or because anything they have seen on social media, then here is this. I like to post pretty pictures and blog about fun things but it is not what is truly important in life and it is only a small piece of my life. I have insecurities, a lot of them, I have major flaws, I have ups and downs in my marriage, I have friendships that come and go, I have doubts in my faith, and my life is anything but perfect. But my God still loves me. And those "perfect" women I see on social media are just like me, imperfect people who are just trying to make it through this life. And our God still loves them. It is so easy to be deceived in this world because the king of this world is a master manipulator, but take heart because our God has overcame this world. 

I really did not want to write this post today to be honest. It is raw, uncomfortable and a lot deeper then I usually like to go on a Monday ha ha, but I felt called after this Saturday and after what God laid on my heart as Mo spoke about deceit. Its hard enough for me to put myself out there when it comes to this blog, but as I am writing this, tears are filling up in my eyes because its even harder to write about the things that truly matter.And your worth in God's eye's matter. I have always wanted this blog to be successful, selfishly for my own interest but God has been laying on my heart ways I can use this to glorify Him. So often my own pride gets in my way and I think I can do this on my own, or I can do it better and that is another lie, another deception. I told you earlier how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole of deception. Every good thing I have and every blessing in my life comes from God and that is something I always need to remember and be grateful for. So I am trying to live by the words I am speaking, and trust that God knows better and if he wanted me to write this post then there was a reason. Of course I want you all to enjoy my blogs and Instagram pictures that is why I am doing this, but I also want you all to take it for what it is. A very small glimpse of my day and my life that has ups and downs just like everyone else . I want you to know from someone who has felt unworthy and less than so many times in my life, that you are enough because God says we are enough. My hope has always been that you come here to feel some joy and talk about the fun things in life but that you stay and keep coming back because God is evident here.

I am so grateful to my friends, Southland Christian Church and the amazing guest speakers who spoke to my heart this weekend and helped transform it. I know that naturally my heart is twisted and bent, like the words Mo spoke, and that without God there is nothing good in me. So my continued prayer will be that God will transform my heart and make me a righteous daughter of the King, and someone who can use social media for good and for His glory. I love you all so very much and I hope today's post was not too deep for you ha ha! Thank you all for stopping by and spending this time with me today.

Be Well,
Katelyn

P.S- I have some exciting post coming to the blog this week about Valentine's treats that wont break the bank and a really fun bag review so make sure your are subscribed and following along!

John 16:33“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Psalm 139:13-15 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.



Comments

Popular Posts