Pantry Remodel



Hello my dears, today we are here with another addition to our home organization series and we are talking all about one of the most used spaces in any home, the pantry! If you happened to miss my last post make sure you check it out, it was all about organizing our laundry room. One of the issues with our home that I had discussed in that post, was our lack of storage and the odd placement of certain utilities. The builder put the hot water heater underneath the staircase in the kitchen and added a few shelfs on the opposite wall and called it a pantry. It never was very functional and drove me nuts from the day we moved in. With the addition of Knox and all the extra food items a toddler comes with and another one on the way, Aaron and I decided it was time to update the space and make it more practical.

My father-in-law is incredibly smart, built their current home and is one of those men who can build anything. He definitely has an engineers mind and we when we asked him if he could make us something to utilize the space better he got right to work. I asked for a few more shelfs and thought that would be awesome but what he was able to do blew my mind and has made a huge difference. When I was writing this post and saw the before pictures it was so crazy to see how cluttered the pantry was before and how far it has come now!

He ended up making two different wood pieces of organization that are removable if we need to get to the water heater but also hide it when we don't. One piece is on a roller system and covers the whole depth of the closet and the other is large cabinet of shelfs that sits right in front of the water heater. He also added motion censored lights that automatically turn on when we open the pantry door and turn off after about 30 seconds. I love this feature and never realized how dark the pantry was before. Now it is so much easier to see the items that we do have and I am not constantly buying duplicates or letting food go bad.

I use the top part of the cabinet as a spice rack for the spices I do not use as often and leave all my other most used ones in the cabinet above the stove. Then I started moving down the shelfs storing my cereal and breakfast foods, then bread items, then can goods, next large baking items like flour and sugar and finally on the bottom we have all of our chips.

On the pull-out I store larger miscellaneous items like syrup and coconut oil, then the next two shelfs are for baking necessities like chocolate chips, baking soda and icing. Next two shelfs are dedicated to Knox, and house most of his snack like items, then it is pastas and pasta sauces, after that its smaller miscellaneous items and finally rices and larger boxes on the bottom.

Overall we could not be happier with how the pantry turned out and are so grateful to Les for making it happen. Thank goodness for his genius mind cause I never would have been able to envision what he was able to create. This small update to our kitchen and pantry has made the biggest impact in our everyday lives. It makes cooking, grocery shopping and just over all snacking he he so much easier. I love that I am able to keep the area organized easily and it has given us much more function for our growing family.

I hope you all are enjoying this little organizational series on the blog and it is giving you lots of ideas and inspiration for your own homes. Our home is my safe place and where my heart is happiest, so making small changes to allow it to become more functional and peaceful for our family has been a dream! If you all are planning on making any changes or organizing a space in your home, I would love for you to comment them below! Stay tuned for next Saturday's post. Thank you so much for stopping by and spending your precious time with me, it truly means the world.

Be Well,
Katelyn


1 Timothy 3:5- For if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?

Comments

Popular Posts